CHRIST IS RISEN
How is he changing lives today?
- “…WE DO NOT KNOW…”
1 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. 2 So she ran and went to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him.”
- “WHY ARE YOU WEEPING?”
14 Having said this, she turned round and saw Jesus standing, but she did not know that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.” 16 Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned and said to him in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means Teacher).
- “I HAVE SEEN THE LORD”
17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”18 Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord”
- “PEACE BE WITH YOU”
19 On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.
Loving Lord, there are many things we do not know. But thank you that you are interested in our joys and our sorrows. We praise you that Mary Magdalene was privileged to see you and be the first evangelist of the resurrection. May we be as bold in telling others as she was, and may you visit our homes right now with your resurrection power, that we might be glad that we have seen the Lord. For your dear name’s sake, Amen.
QUESTIONS FOR PERSONAL REFLECTION OR GROUP DISCUSSION (Join us on Zoom from 8.15pm this Thursday. E-mail Discover@cccw.org.uk to get the log-in details.)
- Icebreaker: How do you think Coronavirus will change our lives in12 months time?
- In v2, Mary Magdalene does not know where Jesus’s body was laid. Apart from Jesus being risen, what are the alternative explanations and how are they discounted?
- Why does Mary not recognise Jesus in v15?
- Why does Jesus tell her not to cling to him in v17?
- Mary, with her previous history, is given this amazing mission to tell the disciples. What does this suggest about serving God within his kingdom?
- Why in v19 are the disciples still scared of the Jews despite Jesus having risen?
- Do we still battle with fears despite Jesus being risen?
- What kind of peace does Jesus bring through his resurrection?